Top 10 Rules of Web Design
Follow these guidelines to create great websites
- Keep it simple. Clean is better than cluttered. Website visitors get frustrated when they can't find the content they need. Keep your pages simple, and your website will be easier to use.
- Make a good first impression. When you meet someone for the first time, it is important to make a good first impression. The same holds true for websites. Most users will judge the quality of your website within a few seconds.
- Provide intuitive navigation. Website navigation should feel natural and effortless. Pages and sections should be well-organized with a clear hierarchy so visitors can easily browse through the different areas of your site.
- Be consistent. You can use different design templates within your website, but the pages should flow together with a cohesive style. A consistent look and feel across your site provides a natural experience.
- Choose your colors carefully. Color selection can make or break a website. When choosing colors, use a limited palette of four or five colors that don't clash. If possible, provide a dark mode option for users who prefer a dark background.
- Make your website responsive. People access websites from a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. Your website should look great on all these devices. CSS media queries make it possible to implement responsive web design with minimal code.
- Develop for multiple browsers. People don't just use different devices — they also use different web browsers. Test your website in multiple browsers to make sure everything functions correctly. It's best to catch browser-related issues before your visitors discover them.
- Check your website for errors. A small mistake can tarnish a great piece of work. Check your website regularly for typos, broken links, and images that do not load correctly. Validate your HTML and CSS to make sure there are no syntax errors.
- Write your own code. The best webmasters write their code from scratch. If you build a site from a WordPress template, your design options will be limited. When you code your own pages, you have full control over how they look and act.
- Don't forget the content. A beautiful website without content is nothing more than an empty shell. A great website requires thoughtful design and engaging content. Make sure your pages include original, high-quality content that makes them worth visiting.
Updated May 10, 2021